Saturday, December 3, 2011

BALLET.

Last week Vivienne went to see The Velveteen Rabbit, her first ballet.  It was 75 minutes long, with one intermission.  We went with my friend Glory and her son Julian.  Glory and I went with a relaxed attitude and the intention of leaving if the kids simply couldn't handle it, but they did great!  There were a few potty trips and a couple of "let's use our whispering voices" but all in all it was a complete success!  It was so fun seeing the look on my daughter's face when the curtain rose and the music started, and the beautiful rabbit danced out onto the floor.  Even though the story is a bit mature for her she surprised me with how engaged she seemed to be.  It also helped that it was a matinee show and a theater filled to the brim with kids -- a very understanding and patient audience. 

I can't wait to do this every year.  As we walked back to the car through the hustle and bustle of the festive city, Vivi's hand in mine, it struck me how I was experiencing a first of many with my little babe.  My little babe who picked out every lit up Christmas tree to point out to me on the street.  My little babe who is not so little anymore.  The girl who picked out her own red "fancy pretty shoes!" and pushed the elevator buttons all by herself.  Who carried her own little pack full of snacks. 

It was one of those "aha" moments, realizing that I am actually getting to do some of the things that I have only before dreamed of doing.  How lucky I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment