Monday, April 18, 2011

What Vivi's been reading

It's been awhile since I've done a post about book reviews so here are the few that we are reading lately.  First up:
http://sunflowerstorytime.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/freight-train.jpg 
This book was a little gift from Nonno.  She has been obsessed with trains for awhile now and my dad also works for Union Pacific, so it was kind of fitting.  I LOVE this book.  Donald Crews has a magical way of writing about things that are so simple.  We are definitely ordering more of his stuff.  The illustrations are just amazing, and the text is captivating.  Trains and colors and movement are emphasized.  Viv always makes me read it twice before bed.  I highly recommend this little gem.  Get it here.

Next up:
http://wplnewchildrensbooks.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/egg.jpg


First the Egg, by Laura Vaccaro Seeger, I first purchased because I knew Easter was right around the corner and I got taken over by everything egg and bunny related.  Besides the Caldecott Honor AND the Theodore Seuss Giesel Honor, I also highly recommend this book (for what it's worth ;).  This book is absolutely STUNNING.  One of my favorites so far.  We're finally able to start reading outside the sturdy board books type and it's so nice.  There are maybe ten words in the entire book and that's all that it needs.  It's all about firsts and what happens next.  Seeger goes from eggs to seeds to words, and there's just no stopping the creativity.  The little story comes full circle and is just so captivating.  Buy this book!

And lastly:

http://www.toyshelf.com/mas_assets/full/GM-B280.jpg

Ollie, by Olivier Dunrea, is an all the time staple.  I'm sure you all already know about this one as part of the beautiful little series with Gossie and Gertie and BooBoo, etc.  Anytime I need to cheer Vivi up (like today in Target) all I have to do is remind her of what Ollie says, which is "I won't come out!" while shaking my finger.  She loves this -- who knows why, but it works.  We love love this series.  Peedie and Ollie are her favorites, with Ollie on top.

Those are the top three in her book bin right now.  I would want every single one of these for my collection!  Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment